To provide leadership in the application of information and communications technologies (ICTs) in the public sector, by transforming Government of Ghana’s administration, information dissemination and service delivery for national development.
- NITA’s mission is to:
- Develop an enterprise information technology management organization capable of leading a national transformation to increased shared services
- Lead in the transformation of public services by effective information management and efficient delivery of services to government and its citizens
- Provide the foundation and framework for utilizing information technology to transform Ghana into a values-based knowledge society
- Create the necessary environment and empower the people so that they will bring about the transformation required to achieve the NITA vision
- Encourage all Ghanaians to participate in and utilize the opportunities made available by ICT
- For the purposes of achieving its objectives the National Information Technology Agency will perform the following functions amongst others:
- Perform the functions of the certifying Agency established under the Electronic Transactions Act, 2008 (Act 772).
- Implement and monitor the national information communications technology policy
- Issue licenses under the Electronic Transactions Act, 2008 (Act 772) and ensure fair competition among license holders.
- Monitor, enforce and ensure effective compliance with conditions contained in licenses and tariffs.
- Maintain registers for approvals given for equipment under the Electronic Transactions Act, 2008 (Act 772)
- Provide access to registers for licenses, applications for licenses and approvals for equipment except where commercial confidentiality does not allow for access
- Investigate and resolve disputes between license holders under the Electronic Transaction Act referred to the agency by license holders.
- Investigate complaints by users who fail to obtain redress from a license holder
- Establish quality of service indicators and reporting requirements that apply to license holders under the Electronic Transaction Act.