Towards Paperless Government Administration
Transforming governance through ICT has been given a shot in the arm with the implementation of a Government e-Workspace System for 102 Government Organizations.
The e-Workspace Project forms part of the solutions to be provisioned under the e-Government Phase II project. This system is a suit of solutions comprising Correspondence Management/Tracking System, Portal Content Management System, and Document Management System and Meeting Management Systems, which is expected to be;
- A secured electronic system with all necessary security measures
- Able to facilitate a complete paperless working environment
- Flexible and ease of use by intended users.
- Able to track decision status and actions taken on such decisions.
- A system that automates submission, processing and approval of letters/memos etc
- Provide ability to conduct meeting and track action status of meetings held
The e-Workspace solution is a web-based integrated and collaborative hardware and software resources for a collaborative working environment. The solution comprises:
Unified Communications Tools including:
- Microsoft Active Directory Services – to manage user authentication, increasing security and making optimal use of shared resources within the Government IT infrastructure and leveraging on active directory enabled applications.
- Microsoft Exchange – a flexible messaging platform for managing mailing and business communications including instant messaging, calendar scheduling, voice mail with unified messaging and more.
- Microsoft Lync Unified Communications Tools – free calls through voice over IP, video and web conferencing over Network Infrastructure reducing travel cost and other communication cost.
Portal Content Management Systems - PCM including:
- Meeting Management System –supporting scheduling, managing and sharing documents related to meetings
- Electronic document management system – supporting sharing of documents
- Intranet Portal (Share-point 2013) – Will bring the power of collaboration and information sharing to government.
Correspondence management system (CMS) – will allow for preparation, processing, receipting and management of e-letters, e-dispatch, e- Minute on letters, e-Signing, data Capture, digitization and e-Storage of documents, e-archiving and e-disposal of letters. System will allow for e-attachment of documents irrespective of file size to letters etc
- The CMS will help organizations to capture and manage their incoming correspondence (e.g. paper and electronic letters, emails, faxes, portals etc.), outgoing correspondence and internal correspondence (internal memos, letters etc.).
- EMC Captiva platform will enable organizations to scan their paper documents; capture electronic files, index, classify, recognize, and validate documents.
- EMC Documentum platform will help organizations to retrieve their electronic documents through searching, apply document restrictions based on user roles (e.g. Minister, Chief Director, Commanders, etc.) so that users of the system will see only documents they are permitted to see based on their roles. It adds additional security on the documents using confidential clearance to users; it will also allow organizations to encrypt contents of documents and digitally shred their redundant documents. The platform will allow organizations to collaborate on documents and generate reports on all correspondence.
The e-Workspace is being deployed for 102 Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs), MMDAs and some selected Public Sector Organizations beginning with thirteen (13) Pilot MDAs including Ministry of Communications, Ministry of Trade, Judicial Services, Public Services Commission, Ghana Police Service, Ghana Armed Forces, GIPC, GRA, UPSA, Lands Commission, NITA and PRAAD
- The E-Government Phase II Project was launched l on March 7 2013.
- Sensitization Workshop for MDAs and MMDAs was conducted to elicit support and participation on 13th June 2013 which started a continuous interaction with them on the implementation of the project.
- CMS Project kick-off Meeting on 5th August 2013
- The Project kick-off meeting was held on 5th August 2013 at NITA Conference room with representatives of stakeholders in attendance.
- Business Analysis Workshop and One-on-One MDA Meetings
- Formation of Technical Advisory Committee
- e-Workspace solutions have been installed and configured successfully pending on acceptance testing by Pilot MDAs