RIGHT TO INFORMATION ACT, 2019, ACT 989
Article 21 (1) (f) of the Constitution of Ghana Provides as follows:
“All persons shall have the right to information, subject to such qualifications and laws as are necessary in a democratic society.”
The Right to Information Act, 2019 (Act 989) was passed by the Parliament of Ghana in 2019, and assented to by the President same year to give constitutional right to access information held by public institutions in Ghana.
The National Information Technology Agency recognizes the importance of the RTI law to foster a culture of transparency and accountability in public affairs particularly in a democratic society like Ghana. Our RTI implementation plans and procedures are guided by five fundamental principles relevant to access information. These principles are legal guarantees of access to information, proactive disclosure, access to information implementation and procedures, adherence to best international standards and respect for individuals’ right to privacy.
It is in line with this that the National Information Technology Agency has set up the Right to Information (RTI) Unit, which is operated by an Information Officer.
However, access to information would be subject to the exemptions that are relevant with the protection of the public interest as stipulated in the Act
Access To Information Manual
The Information Manual is available for public inspection at NITA’s Reception Desk or can be downloaded via the link below:
In accordance with Section 18 of the RTI Act, 2019, application to access information within the National information Technology Agency shall be made in writing or orally.
Application in writing shall satisfy the following;
- Addressed to the Information Officer of the National Information Technology Agency
- Contain sufficient description or particulars to enable the information to easily identified
- Indicate the form and manner of access required
- State the capacity of the applicant to the satisfaction of the information officer to whom the application is made, if the application is made on behalf of another person
- State the name of the applicant, an address to which a communication or notice can be sent
- Provide identification of the applicant
- To be signed by applicant
Click on the link below to download the RTI Standard Application Form
Fill it out and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
Some exempt information of this public institution in accordance with the RTI Act, 2019 are;
- Information for the President or the Vice President
- Information relating to Cabinet
- Information relating to law enforcement and public safety
- Information affecting internal relations
- Information that affects the security of the State
- Economic and any other interests
- Economic information of third parties
- Information relating to tax
- Internal working information of public institutions
- Parliamentary privilege, fair trial, contempt of court
- Privilege information
- Disclosure of personal matters